Powder Brows vs Microblading?
Powder brows is a much more defined eyebrow look than you will get with microblading. It looks less natural than microblading but will complement your makeup better and give you the look of perfectly shaped eyebrows all day long.
Microblading is best suited for someone who does not wear makeup frequently and wants their brows to look very natural. Powder brows looks best on someone who wears makeup frequently and does not want to do their eyebrows every single time, saving lots of time.
Why Is It So Expensive?
When it comes to powder/ombré brows, there is a big difference in the skill level and experience of artists in the industry. Not all artists are created equally so even though there are thousands of people performing powder/ombré brows across the United States, the way it is done by Elite is unlike any other in the industry.
This page is dedicated to some of the most common questions about permanent makeup. Please read this page in its entirety before booking your appointment to ensure you are a good candidate and are fully prepared before your appointment. Getting the best results starts before you ever step foot in my studio. I am looking forward to meeting you at your appointment and creating your dream brows!
WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is a form of permanent makeup where a small blade is used to create thin lines that mimic natural hair throughout a persons brows, giving the illusion of a full, natural brow.
Microblading is meant to be a natural enhancement and to create the appearance of a fuller/fluffier brow. It looks most natural on clients who have fuller brow hair and are wanting to perfect their shape and “fill in the blanks” of missing brow hair. This brow style looks most natural if you have fine brow hair (not coarse).
Microblading heals best on young, normal/dry skin. Those with combination/ oily or mature skin are not candidates for microblading and are better suited for a combination or powder brows.
It is also important to note that microblading, over time, is likely to blur together. While initially the strokes may look crisp and thin, if you have oily skin, aging skin, are in the sun frequently, or other reasons, the strokes will blur together.
Results will last 12-18 months!
WHAT ARE POWDER BROWS?
A powder brow (also known as an ombre brow) has no hair strokes and is made up entirely of machine shading. It is ideal for all skin types.
When doing a powder brow, a single or multi figure needle tattoo machine implants small dots of pigment below the skin. These dots are layered on top of each other until the desired amount of saturation is achieved. We can do a soft amount of shading with no harsh edges for an ultra-natural look or layer shading on top of each other for a more defined, filled in make-up look! Powder brows can be completely customized to fit each client’s preferences.
A powder brow can be just as natural as microblading! If you have oily skin, large pores, uneven brow hair growth or very coarse hair, microbladed strokes look very unnatural and don’t blend with the natural hair. A powder brow would give an even layer of color to the brow, healing to the perfect powdery look. This brow style is also very gentle on your skin and results will last 1-3 years!
WHAT ARE COMBINATION BROWS?
A combination brow combines microblading strokes with machine shading to achieve a natural yet defined brow.
If you have naturally sparse brow hair or uneven brow growth, a combination brow is perfect for you! Soft machine shading mixed with microbladed strokes gives a 3D affect and in some cases can look more natural than microblading on its own. Every brow is customized per client so we can add as much or as little shading to give a variety of different looks!
This is a beautiful look for all skin types (including oily/aging skin) and heals very soft and beautiful.
Results will last 1-3 years!
If you are unsure of what service to book, a combination brow is the safest choice!
DO I NEED A CONSULTATION?
A consultation is not required before booking your appointment. All new clients are required to read all pre-care instructions before booking. A mini consultation is done at the beginning of the initial appointment where we will go over the different brow styles and see what is the best option for your lifestyle, age, skin type and brow goals! Also, it is best to come in with an idea of what you want and showing me pictures of work you like is highly encouraged!
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Permanent makeup is designed to fade over time, but it’s still considered a tattoo. Factors such as skin type, lifestyle, sun exposure, age, metabolism, medications and pigment color affect the longevity of the tattoo. Yearly touch ups are normal and expected for permanent cosmetics. Picking the proper service for your skin type and following the proper aftercare will lead to beautiful results for years to come!
AM I A CANDIDATE?
Unfortunately, not everyone is a good candidate for permanent makeup. The following list disqualifies you from currently receiving permanent makeup. Any further questions please email email@example.com.
You are NOT a candidate if you are….
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Currently using or have been on Accutane within the last 12 months
- Have a freshly tanned or sunburned face
- Taking blood thinning medications (you may be a candidate for powder brows, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Currently undergoing treatment for cancer
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatment within the last 12 months
- Under 18 years old
DOES IT HURT?
Most clients report little to no pain throughout their procedure. While every clients pain tolerance is different, a topical numbing agent is used throughout your session to make sure you are comfortable.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY APPOINTMENT?
Preparing for your appointment is just as important for good, healed results as post care. Failure to follow pre-care may result in you being sent home the day of your appointment. Please read the following carefully!
2 weeks before
- BOTOX: Botox or Dysport must be done at least 14 days prior to your appointment.
- WAXING/THREADING: I recommend coming to your appointment with your brows grown out. I prefer to see how they grow out naturally and will clean them up at your appointment. If you tint your brows please do so at least 7 days before your appointment.
- RETIN-A: Please refrain from using any retin-a products in the brow area for 2 weeks leading up to your appointment.
24 HOURS BEFORE
- To minimize bleeding during the procedure, please avoid alcohol, caffeine and blood thinning medications such as Ibuprofen and Advil.
- Map out directions to the studio and plan for traffic.
DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Wash your hair! You won’t be able to get your brows wet for the next 10-14 days. This will give you a few extra days before your next wash!
- Avoid exercise/sweating: Exercising increases blood flow and will cause excessive bleeding, leading to poor healed results.
- Makeup: You are welcome to come to your appointment with or without makeup on. We will be taking a lot of photos, so come however you will feel the most comfortable! Also, coming in with how you fill in your brows helps me see what you like and what you’re used to.
- RELAX! Feeling nervous is normal. We are going to work together to create your dream brows! Take a deep breath and get excited!
WHAT DOES THE HEALING PROCESS LOOK LIKE?
Immediately after getting your brows done, you may experience minor redness or swelling which will typically subside within 24 hours. Over the next few hours, the pigment in the skin will oxidize, making the brows look darker and warmer (red) than they were initially. This is normal and expected. Pigment typically fades anywhere from 20-40% once fully healed.
Around day 3-4, you may notice light scabbing and flaking on the treated area. This is normal! Please refrain from picking at the brows. Doing so will result in loss of pigment in those areas and can cause scarring. Brows may appear spotty or patchy until the entire brow has finished healing. Once all the flaking is complete (usually around day 10), the brows will appear much lighter. The pigment will darken over the next 4-6 weeks and the pigment will return to the skin in it healed color.
Whatever pigment that does not return will be addressed at your touch up appointment. At this appointment, we will assess your retention, touch up the spots that didn’t stick and adjust minor details to give you your perfect brows!
It is crucial to follow the aftercare instructions exactly to get the best healed results! All aftercare products will be provided by your artists and further instructions will be made at your appointment.
- Keep your new brows dry until all flaking has stopped. This means keeping them dry in the shower, avoid sweating, saunas and steam for the next 10-14 days.
- Keep the brows clean!
- Apply a thin layer of provided aftercare cream 1-2x daily for the next 10 days
- No makeup in the brow area for the next 10-14 days to prevent infection
- Avoid sun exposure/tanning beds for 2 weeks. Please plan vacations and outings accordingly (Ask about our tattoo spf stick)
- Do not pick or scratching the brows while healing! This will remove the pigment and lead to patchiness and scarring.
No acne or anti-aging products on the brows ever
WHY DO I NEED A TOUCH UP APPOINTMENT?
PMU is a 2-step process and a touch up is highly recommended to get the best results. Also known as the “perfecting session”, a touch up is done 6-8 weeks after your initial appointment, this is where we assess your retention, perfect the shape and color and add details. Touch ups are especially important and add to the longevity of your PMU.